"What is the Fedora Project?"

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 03:03:28 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 4:33 PM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/10/14 Máirín Duffy <mairin at linuxgrrl.com>:
>> On 10/14/2009 03:00 PM, Tim Burke wrote:
>>>
>>> Máirín Duffy wrote:
>>>>

>>> sounds like RHEL
>>
>> I *think* (and I'm relaying 3rd party information and then speculating on
>> it, so this may be an exercise in futility) that the difference is that she
>> said Fedora was on the leading edge, and that's why they had always
>> gravitated towards it in the past. RHEL tends to be a bit behind Fedora, for
>> the sake of stability. Even so, when Fedora was leading edge a couple of
>> years ago, it was still stable enough for these folks to do their work.
>
> But I've been running Fedora as my primary desktop from F7 on and it
> has been plenty stable for me to do my work. So I think Jeff is right,
> it would be really nice to know more about the work they are doing
> that exposes this "instability."

Most of the issues I have helped people through have been things that
have been documented in the past at one point or another:
pulseaudio changes a couple releases ago, nvidia changes another
release, kde another release, etc. The issues are they are not
expecting to 'beta-test' software after its been released (as someone
who had been using RHL since 1997 told me... I think he is now an
Ubuntu advocate.)

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning