"What is the Fedora Project?"

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 15 14:40:59 UTC 2009

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, Jonathan Roberts wrote:

>> 3) Functionality that was there easily before going away next release
>> with brand new tools that never seem to get the functionality back
>
> As a user who considers his technical abilities mediocre at best, the
> big problem for me has been that in one release I learn to configure a
> particular piece of hardware one way, and then in the next that just
> doesn't work anymore and I either have to learn the brand new way that
> is likely not documented in any obvious locations because it's so new,
> or live with hardware that is only half working. In the past I've
> accepted this, but this year I just can't spare the time and actually
> need my hardware to work properly.
>
> Not a particular constructive comment, just wanted to expand on
> Stephen's comment here.

And this is the crux of our problem:

fedora is for latest leading-edge pkgs. It's not easy or reasonable to
have the latest of things AND have a stable interface for them.

So if latest software is fedora's raison d'etre then it sure seems like
fedora is just not for you.

how else do we set reasonable expectations?
-sv