"What is the Fedora Project?"

Máirín Duffy mairin at linuxgrrl.com
Thu Oct 15 15:59:16 UTC 2009

On 10/15/2009 11:04 AM, Seth Vidal wrote:
> Not really.
>
> I have a few explanations for this:

Seth, I understand your argument, and I do understand visioning Fedora
to be a proving ground for leading technology. However, I don't believe
'leading-edge' is mutually exclusive with 'usable.' There's a spectrum
within leading-edge where it's too unstable to be usable v. leading edge
at just the right sweet spot / pace that it's still functional. Couldn't
we aim for the latter?

What's the point of being leading-edge if it's so hard to use that
nobody can actually check it out, learn from it, appreciate it? It's
like a shopkeeper opening up a shop with amazing unique products, but
keeping erratic and unposted hours, yet somehow expecting to have happy
loyal customers and to make a profit. She'll have a limited population
of extremely loyal customers, but feel frustrated that she seems unable
to expand. Is that where Fedora is today?

I have a bachelor's degree in computer science, a master's degree in
human-computer interaction, and I have been using Linux since I was in
high school. I love technology - many women are addicted to
shoe-shopping, but I'm instead addicted to shopping new electronic
gadgets. Software freedom is essentially my religion, and I've reserved
a big chunk of my heart and soul for Fedora.

Yet I am NOT happy to live with the scenario described in the postscript
below. If *I* have a hard time dealing with it, how do we expect people
who aren't total Fedora groupies and religious about free software to deal?

Is Fedora truly not for me?

~m

--

p.s. I use Fedora 11, not rawhide. While I was typing this email, my
battery reached 3% capacity and gnome-power-manager prompted me to plug

Note this is F11, and F11 is supposed to be a stable Fedora release. If
my machine didn't play well with suspend (it occasionally crashes while
suspending and never comes back), I would have lost all of my open work
on this machine just now.

This is maybe the 10th time this suspend scenario has happened to me
with gnome-power-manager in the past month or so. I've lost quite a bit
of work due to it. What can I do? I am powerless except to train myself
to always keep my laptop plugged in (not great for my battery), and when
I can't and my power runs low, I must drop everything I am doing, save
ALL of my work, shut the computer down, plug it in, and then turn it
back on.

I don't necessarily think we need to have everything perfect and stable.
But we don't want to abuse people, making them feel completely powerless
over their computer. I think it would be worth brainstorming ways we can
empower our users to deal with these types of problems.