"What is the Fedora Project?"

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 04:17:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>> I don't care about a few loud angry people. There's going to be loud angry
>> people no matter what we do. There's loud angry people right now. We need to
>> pick a direction we believe in, and go with it.
>
> You seem to want us to care about a few loud angry people. Specifically the
> loud, angry people who have talked to you about fedora.

The ones I usually deal with are just really upset because they liked
using things and its not working out anymore. And they don't want to
get involved in anyway beyond telling someone they know because  they
don't want to deal with harsh emails. And yes this is pretty civil
discourse but more emotional time than a lot of people who would like
to deal with.

>> I'm not sure I can believe in Fedora as a science lab. I'd like to talk to
>> some people who believe in that. You said yourself and Mike aren't
>> advocating for it. Who is? Are we just standing in a circle beating on a
>> poor old scarecrow?
>
> Show me how we slow down without overlapping the RHEL case up there? B/c I'm
> not real sure there's all that much room.

Well we have had 6 releases since the last EL release ... if anything
we have sped up.

A common questions for people in #rhel is "Why is EL-6 so late?" When
asked how they get this opinion they go off the idea that EL-3 was F-0
(RHL9), EL-4 was F-3, EL-5 was F-6 so EL-6 should have been F-9... and
now we are at F-12 so EL-6 must be late. [And yes the reasoning
boggles my warped mind.. but it comes up quite a bit.]

Fedora is by design to have every release to be .0.. that has its
point and makes sense. RHEL is meant to be the good old .2 release
that people lived by (I worked on a 6.2 box just a couple of months
ago..) What seems to be missing is the .1 release where people get an
idea of what spaghetti fell off the wall from the .0 and what might be
left for the .2 someday. Or that someone who is new to Linux and
wanting to get his feet wet but isn't sure if they have the energy for
 Fedora Drama(TM) . To be honest I am not sure if this is practically
possible... it could be the pony, but like any pony lots of people
want it.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning