Fedora Board Recap 2009-10-22 UTC 1600

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Thu Oct 29 19:30:29 UTC 2009

On 10/29/2009 09:48 AM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 19:14 -0700, John Poelstra wrote:
>> Does the board have any target milestones from Release Engineering for
>> completion of this proposal?  If not, can we get some?  We've been
>> talking about this proposal in a lot of places, but without a specific
>> time line.
>>
>> As always, my scheduling services (in a non-board member capacity) are
>> available and free of charge :)
>
> The first target was by beta branch of F12.  That's why we rushed the
> FAD.  However we just weren't able to hit that goal, so the new goal is
> by the time we would branch Fedora 13.  I'm hoping to get a good list of
> work needed doing at FUDCon, complete with some dates to go by.

I realize we missed our original goal of Fedora 12.  As Fedora 13 is our
new goal I was suggesting milestones (check in points) to make sure we
stay on track and finish on time... like we've done with the more
detailed schedules for each of the Fedora teams.

Why not identify the work that needs to be done *before* FUDCon and then
use FUDCon to write the code and make it happen?  There are at least 2.5
weeks between GA and FUDCon.  I'll volunteer to help lead planning the
meetings.

I'm just wondering if we'd get more "bang for our buck" if we used the
live event to *do* the actual implementation instead of using it to talk
about options, brainstorm, etc., a lot of which I thought happened at
the FAD that created the original proposal.

By planning ahead for the Fedora Talk FAD last week I'd estimate we
accomplished twice or three times as much as we would have otherwise.
We made a lot of progress on the implementation because everyone was
there and could talk about it in real time as they did the work and
encountered problems. All without the interruptions of every day work/life.

John