Red Hat Comments on License Agreement

Pamela Chestek pchestek at redhat.com
Thu Sep 17 18:12:04 UTC 2009

Pamela Chestek wrote on 08/28/2009 06:39 PM:
> Richard Koerber wrote on 08/28/2009 05:27 PM:
>
>> If I would start to write "Fedora®", but would not write a trademark
>> symbol
>> for (let's say) "Intel", a visitor could conclude that Fedora is a
>> registered
>> trademark, and Intel is not. I am afraid I could then be a target for a
>> trademark infringement claim from Intel. :) (Remember: German law
>> applies.)
>>
> Do you know for a fact that this is true under German law?  If you
> could point me to a reference that would be very helpful.  I don't
> know, although I can ask German colleagues about it.  The statement
> you use is one that a trademark owner and its licensees would use for
> their own protection (defensively), but it seems unusual to me that a
> company could make an offensive claim against you for inconsistent
> marking.  If that's the case under German law though, we're happy to
> accommodate it.

Below you will find information from a German lawyer on this topic,
reproduced with permission.  I am not identifying the lawyer, to avoid
any suggestion that he or she is offering community members specific
legal advice or representation.

I don't believe any changes are needed to the agreement.  We will leave
in the original change, that relieves one from the duty for using the
the symbol for "Fedora" so long as one doesn't use the symbol for any
trademarks at all.  But, I hope this provides some comfort in general
that users in Germany shouldn't have to be overly concerned about
liability for using the symbol.

Pam

Dear Pam,