Fedora's Core Purposes

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 14:03:12 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 06:44:05AM -0700, John Poelstra wrote:
> I was recently reviewing this page and a number of other pages that talk
> about the Fedora Project (not our the Fedora distribution)
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives
>
> I'm working a blog post that provides more detail on this.  In the
> meantime, I think this page could be broken into three primary purposes
> and each of the bullets merged under those purposes.
>
> 1) Building and releasing a distribution
> 2) Building communities
> 3) Furthering the science (methodologies) and practice of building
> communities
>
> I think it is important that we place a tight limit on the number of
> *core* purposes.  Is there anything else that the Fedora Project does
> that could not be captured under these three headings?

I think those three objectives are a better collection of the Fedora
Project's goals.  The Project itself is more than just a distribution
and our objectives ought to reflect that.  The work that occurs around
the objectives of building free-culture communities and identifying
and documenting best practices is just as important.

If needed, each of these objectives could be broken out in separate
pages with some of the aspects of the objective listed in detail.
That might make those purposes easier to grasp for someone trying to
understand what the Fedora Project aims to do.