Aligning targets

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 17:56:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 10:43:18AM -0700, John Poelstra wrote:
> Paul W. Frields said the following on 09/25/2009 10:36 AM Pacific Time:
>> Our best statement of target audience for Fedora is found here:
>>    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview#Is_Fedora_for_me.3F
>
> First we have to be clearer about "Fedora".
>
> Are we defining a target audience for:
>
> 1) The Fedora Project
> 2) The Fedora Distribution
>
> Doing both at the same time will be painful and counter productive as I
> think we have seen already.

I think you're correct.  I try to consistently use "Fedora" to mean
"Fedora the distribution," and I use "Fedora Project" when I mean the
project.  However, given how they're used interchangeably by so many
people I need to make a special effort to say "the Fedora
distribution," which is what I said above.

> I believe the best way forward is to end the "Overview" page after the
> first section and move that content to separate pages.

No problem with that here.  Personally I like short, consistent pages
-- they're easier to keep organized and, incidentally, reuse.

Paul