Aligning targets

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Tue Sep 29 23:15:02 UTC 2009

Paul W. Frields said the following on 09/25/2009 10:36 AM Pacific Time:
> Our best statement of target audience for Fedora is found here:
>    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview#Is_Fedora_for_me.3F
>
> We may be able to resolve, or help FESCo resolve, engineering
> decisions if we extend this description to include some exemplar users
> who better represent this target.  In other words, we can draw a
> better picture of "Uma," "Dietrich," and "Sayyid,"[1] each
> representing someone for whom we want to make technical decisions.
>
> Then the questions we need to ask become, do our current processes --
> be they for testing/QA, release, package updates, or what-have-you --
> support those users?  And how do we prioritize conflicts?

The best way I could come up with to further this discussion was to "do
something" which was to update a few wiki pages.... naturally they can
all be changed or reverted if no one agrees.

The original page:
https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Overview&oldid=122251

Advanced apologies to the original creators of the Overview page, but
the page is too confusing.  It is trying to cover too many topics and
switches back and forth between them.

It starts by talking about "the Fedora Project". Then it talks about
"who uses 'Fedora' " (notice we've abruptly changed subjects to the
distribution), followed by several sections about the distribution and
concludes by talking about the "Fedora Project".

Updated page:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview

I've created a new version with a reduced footprint that seeks to speak
directly to the questions that have not been resolved like "Who is our
target audience?"  Defining our target audience based on "is Fedora for
me?" is too round about.  We should just come out and say what it is.

In turn I've also taken a shot at improving the Objectives page to
better align with our core objectives.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives so it corresponds more with my
earlier post about
http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/blog_posts/2009-09-18/fedora-purpose-clickable-2009-09-18.html

I think we still have a little work to do.  I'm not sure all the bullets
in this section are in harmony with each other.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives#Creating_a_Free_.28as_in_Freedom.29_distribution

John