[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Concentration of Ambassadors

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Dec 1 21:02:50 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 08:02 -0500, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> I'm far more concerned about not having enough ambassadors in each region,
> to be honest.
>
> For instance: India has, what, a billion people?  And Brazil is how large?
>
> If our goal is saturation, then we're going to need more than two people
> per billion to accomplish that goal.
>
> Now I will agree that, going forward, we need to be increasingly clear
> about the specific responsibilities of Ambassadors.  But so long as the
> Ambassadors are all communicating openly with one another, on this list,
> then "too many Ambassadors" is a good problem to have.
Large countries have logical ways of dividing themselves, by state,
region, territory, county, whatever.

Similarly, people identify themselves highest by these divisions,
usually starting with the smallest and closest grain to themselves.

Fedora Ambassador for Santa Cruz, California, USA

Yes, that is definitely a speed I can work with.  However, if you know
SC, you know that not much happens here.  So, add that to my position in
Fedora overall, and I can accept:

Fedora Ambassador for Silicon Valley, California, USA

Woah!  That's quite a bite to chew on.  I can reach all the venues
within a few hours by car, that's OK.  But I cannot be at every Linux
event in that area.  In fact, I don't know that I want to be at that
many of them, ever.

I recommend that we allow for limitations based on these regions.  I
expect to be the only ambassador for my town, in the vein of what
Patrick discusses, you need a regional leader, however you define that
region.  For the size of the Silicon Valley, we need coordination
amongst regional ambassadors.  One for Mountain View/Palo Alto/Stanford
University.  One for San Francisco, one for Berkeley, one for San Jose.
Each region understands its needs best.  Just allow for as structure
that can let one multi-regional ambassador rise as multi-regional
leader.  Think of something cellular.  Bee hive, with each bee attending
to one hex of honey.

- Karsten
Content Services                          Fedora Documentation Project
http://www.redhat.com/docs   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject