[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Online Shopping With Fedora Stuff

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Mon Dec 26 17:43:08 UTC 2005

Mauricio Pretto - LM² wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>      I dont know if this already has been discussed here, and if this
> is the right place to talk about this, but.....
>
>      There is a online shopping site here in Brazil called LinuxMall
> (www.linuxmall.com.br) that sells Fedora stuff (t-shirts, pens, mugs
> and others), i dont know if they have autorization to do this, i guess
> they dont.
>
>      I think we can talk with them and make part of this money be
> donnated to fedora project dont you think ?
>

>       - http://www.linuxmall.com.br/index.php?category=canetas
>      - http://www.linuxmall.com.br/index.php?category=camisetas
>      - http://www.linuxmall.com.br/index.php?category=camisas
>
> Regards

This is a violation of the Trademark Guidelines
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/TrademarkGuidelines).  The
Trademark Guidelines prevent this kind of commercial usage.  Stock
Fedora CDs are permitted, but selling other merchandise with the Fedora
(or Red Hat) marks is not permitted.  The reason that not just anyone
can use the trademark is so that we have the opportunity to protect the
Fedora name from abuse and keep Fedora from being misrepresented.  If
they would like to discuss using the trademark with us, we can probably
work something out for them to continue selling merchandise, but they
should not otherwise be permitted to continue.  We have the opportunity
to decide how the Fedora name and brand can be used, and we should take
advantage of that opportunity to keep others from using the Fedora brand
in a way that is against the spirit of Fedora.  We do want people to be
able to create and distribute Fedora merchandise, but we must be careful
to avoid commercial exploitation that misrepresents or hurts Fedora.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

http://www.n-man.com/