[Ambassadors] French Fedora Ambassadors -- Meeting Minutes

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Aug 2 19:31:14 UTC 2006

Le mercredi 02 août 2006 à 14:03 -0500, David Barzilay a écrit :
> Hi Thomas and All!
>
> Some of the shared ideas below might be interesting to you all.
>
> > 2. Local organisation
> >
> > The future bylaws of the Fedora-France organisation will be discussed as
> > soon as the mailing list for french-speaking ambassadors is operational.
>
> I just wanna share my experience from Brazil on this. We ended up
> creating the website www.projetofedora.org (Brazilian Portuguese
> translation of Fedora Project), which is the main point of contact for
> promoting the distro in the country and also where people meet to help
> promote Fedora (including its sub-projects i.e. translation, docs,
> freemedia, etc).
>
> We didn't go for www.projetofedora.org[.br] because we needed to have a
> properly registered NGO in the country, with employees, financials, etc.
>
> So I recommend you check the French laws regarding this matter.

Actually the French requirements for setting up a non-profit association
are little and well known (the law governing associations dates from
1901, France managed to change constitution twice since, not counting
WWII unfortunate events).

But there are some requirements as a legal entity means you have to
designate and register who will answer for the association before courts
of law, IRS and so on. So it's more work than staying informal.

But so far it seems the project is not lacking any foolish sacrificial
lambs (sorry heroic volunteers :) )

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot