[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Be a critique

Aurelien Bompard gauret at free.fr
Tue Feb 21 18:38:13 UTC 2006

> What is the best
> criticisms that you can put forward on areas that Fedora needs to
> improve? How do we improve on those?

My take would be hardware support :
 - wireless drivers, too young to be included in the mainline kernel (for
example rt2xx)
 - usb adsl modems, to young or specific to be included in mainline kernel
(for example eagle-usb)
 - all the unofficial drivers out there, which are not in the mainline
kernel. (for example webcam drivers, etc...)

If we had more kernel module packages included in core for every possible
driver, we'd gain a lot of home users (they can't be in extras if they're
needed for network connectivity).
A kernel package specfile template has been aggreed on recently, but IFAICT
it's only for Extras.

Aurélien
http://aurelien.bompard.org  ~~~~  Jabber : abompard at jabber.fr
"Backups are for wimps. Real men upload their work to an ftp server
and have everybody mirror it." -- Linus Torvalds