[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Be a critique

barrera at barrerafranco.com.ar barrera at barrerafranco.com.ar
Tue Feb 21 19:09:05 UTC 2006

> I think that a one cd installation like ubuntu is NOT a good idea for
> the simple reason that on a single disc, the packages that we have to
> get rid of are the language packages. And if these packages are needed
> during the installation, like ubuntu, an internet connection is
> required. But many people do not have an ethernet connexion with dhcp.
> Many still have a usb modem, which make impossible the download and make
> the distribution harder to configure.

Yes, its true, its a valid argument.

I think we should avoid importing solutions from
>> other distros, it's important to save our origin (you know what I
>> mean...).

Every open source software are the same family, even I think that take some
things better developed form other distros is not a sin. Sometimes tradition
destroy the capabilitie to grow for the common users.But i respect your
position.

We should rather focus on improving our ideas and inventions.

> I like anaconda very much, far more than Mandriva's installer. However
> it needs improvements with yum, through bug report, on speed i think.

I think that a resize disk tool could complete de installer.

>> That's my opinion. We should respect our history and traditions.
>> That's all :)

Open Source World is a place for creativity and Bazar situations. I respect
tradition keeping the source code Open. But if you create or improve something
better for all the users and you dont do that because of "history", tradition
become more important than functionallity. If the source code is Open, is Open
Source. So its the same for me . I think that we must respect tradition, but
give more heavy arguments than " I like" or " Avoid solutions from other
distros". Before say "I like", we must say " this will help users to adopt
Linux ?" If the answer is yes, in spite of the things that I Like, or I try to
avoid, so the target, the purpose destroy the tradition.

This kind of differencies, generates more and more distros, and a lot
of distros
become confusing for the people. To spread Open Source Technology we need to
leave behind RPM vs DEB discussions. We need to go to Open or Not OPen
discussions. Open Source Community and Free Software Society must leave behind
teen age to enter in the adult age.

Anyway I respect a lot the tradition in somethings. And Its for me too much
positive to exchange opinions. Even the differences, this motivate me more a
more to spread Fedora. I love Fedora, and I want it better than today!

PabloBarrera