[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Ambassadors meeting notes February 23, 22-23 UTC

Alex Maier lxmaier at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 18:11:08 UTC 2006

Meeting notes: Feb 23, 2006, 22:00 UTC

Attending:
lxmaier: AlexMaier
tchung: ThomasChung
MrTom: Thomas Canniot
nman64: PatrickBarnes
kushal: KushalDas
gregdek: Greg DeKoenigsberg
StillBob: BobJensen
GeroldKa: GeroldKassube
CraZy675: Nick Yeoman
mspevack: Max Spevack
lxmaier: okay, looks like we have enough people
JoseTarazona: JoseTarazona
ChitleshGoorah: ChitleshGoorah
JorgeTorres: JorgeTorres

agenda is available here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/Schedule

item 1
Review upcoming events

1.1
There was a discussion on the list about whether it makes sense to
always discuss the events first events take up a lot of time
***lxmaier supports the idea that attending and organizing events in
the main purpose of this group
GeroldKa: maybe it's a good thing to be better prepared from the
owners, to have the best effort for all and a speedy update of the
event themselves
as nobody present seemed to be in favour of moving the events to the
end, the Schedule order will remain unchanged.

1.2
Feb 25, 2006 Fedora Day Hengelo (Gld), Netherlands - The first day in
The Netherlands to promote Fedora and to support new users. Owner:
ThijsHulshof http://www.fedora-linux.nl/bijeenkomst
Fedora presentations and install fest
Thijs'll send feedback to the list when the day is finished.

1.3
Feb 25-26, 2006 FOSDEM Brussels, Belgium - The sixth Free and Open
source Software Developers' European Meeting in Brussel -Belgium-
http://www.fosdem.org/2006 Owner: FredericHornain, ThomasCanniot
booth is reserved, we have DVDs and tshirts
Fred will bring his computer and Thomas will demo FC5T3
The owners are working with ChitleshGoorah for a handout to give with the DVDs
A livecd might be also an option.
StillBob: having F4 and FC5T3 side by side might be interesting to visitors
lxmaier: you might want to find a microphone and an amp and talk to
your demo. you schedule a live demo at say every even hour, and you
make an on-the-booth presentation, so that people can gather at the
scheduled times. usually this draws a considerable crowd. you might
want to combine it with a short presentation from the slides available
online

1.4
Mar 13-16, 2006 Jornada de Divulgación Científica y Tecnológica
Bogota, Colombia - A whole day organized for an Recognized University
in Colombia for conferences on subjects related to Open Source
Software as well as telecommunications, medical artificial
intelligence and computer science. It will have universities of the
country and the world. http://www.sistemasunbosque.edu.co and
http://www.equisl.org JoseTarazona My participation and Stand
confirmed
 JoseTarazona has been talking with people to get two PCs for the stand
Jose would like to have a live videoconference between 12:00 and 18:00
GMT – 5:00. A prerecorded video session could be useful, but the Q&A
section will be missing this way. but it will be appreciated anyway.
Jose also wants to know if there is any chance to receive some DVDs
and some T-Shirts?
lxmaier: we might be able to ship freshly-burned FC5 DVDs to
JoseTarazona if we are EXTREMELY lucky

1.5
Apr 3-6, 2006 LinuxWorld Boston 2006 Boston, MA, USA - LinuxWorld US
See LinuxWorld/LinuxWorldBoston2006. MatthewMiller JackAboutboul He
will contact JesseKeating or local PC vendor about hardware needed for
the booth. He will conatct JackAboutboul about registering for free
booth.
Apr 7, 2006 FUDCon Boston 2006 Boston, MA, USA - Sequel to the first FUDCon.
See FUDCon/FUDConBoston2006.
gregdek:
LWCE: Looking to get a Fedora-branded install pavilion at the .org at
LWCE, with the help of Pogo. LWCE: Booth squared away by Jack today.
FUDCON: Space all set.
FUDCON: RFP for sessions has been out a couple of weeks, closes
tomorrow nite, he's got about a dozen possible sessions, plus sessions
that will be given by RHATters from the Boston area.
FUDCON: Pre-registration will open up next week. Space *may* be
limited, so people who preregister will get stickers onsite and will
have first preference.
We'll have 1 1/2 tracks. :) One morning track, 2 afternoon tracks.

1.6
Apr 19-22, 2006 FISL 7.0 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil - 7th International
Free Software Forum. This is the biggest conference for IT
Infrastructure and Developers in Brazil.
See FISL for more description. Owner: RodrigoPadula.

1.7
May 3-6, 2006 LinuxTag/FUDCon Wiesbaden 2006 Wiesbaden, Germany -
LinuxTag Germany See FUDCon/FUDConWiesbaden2006 GeroldKassube
FlorianBrand help wanted and needed!
In the last meeting GeroldKa gave the wrong date for the decission
from the organisation team; it's not the Feb. 20th. Decission will be
informed on 24th and that's tomorrow ... So nothing more news till
right now; we've to wait until tomorrow but I stay in contact with
FlorianBrand and JensKuehnel for all things$$
 GeroldKa: for me / us it's very important be be supported by all of you

1.8
May 15-16, 2006 LinuxWorld Italy 2006 Milan, Italy - LinuxWorld Italy
AndreaMaurizioGnerre Andrea has contacted the organization of the
event. They moved to a sponsorized event format. I have prices for
that if anybody is interested.
FrancescoUgolini: i don't know if i'm avaiable—i will find out in the
first week of march

item 2
FedoraLibraries Owner: ChitleshGoorah
ChitleshGoorah: Each week, Im sending a reminder in the list to push
things forwards. Personnaly the SC might force things forward, since
FC5 is coming out soon.
Let's integrate Fedora in the daily life of everyone. This might be a
way to make them aware of fedora. FedoraLibraries needs a Fedora Live
CD. ChitleshGoorah will talk with gredgek later to move things in that
perspective. ChitleshGoorah is going to FUDCon Wiesbaden depending on
his practical class schedule
ChitleshGoorah: next week, Ill talk with the directory of my
university if he can push things for me too
lxmaier: okay, so ChitleshGoorah, what do we need to do to get ISBN
and ISSN codes for the CDs and DVDs?
kushal: If you wish to obtain an ISBN, you should contact the national
or regional ISBN agency in your own country. Presently, more than 160
countries or territories are official ISBN members.
greendisease: i can work on that. i think the filing fee is 250 USD.
you get a lot of 20 codes, and then the issn numbers work for a series
 tchung: shoudn't Fedora Foundation file ISBN for Fedora DVD or CDs media
*** lxmaier strongly agrees
***gregdek wonders if we should be considering Lulu for this...
gregdek will ask Mr. Hogan from Lulu what he knows about ISBN numbers.
ChitleshGoorah and greendesease will pursue the project further if
gregdek hooked him up with Lulu people.

item 3
Schwag pipeline Owner: AlexMaier / GregDeKoenigsberg
Need to make sure that the schwag pipeline is functional. This is
separate from the actual stuff we send; this is just making sure that
the stuff we send actually gets to the places it needs to go.
gregdek has cost estimates for the US store. this means that we can
start the production soon, and request to replicate the stores in EMEA
and APAC.
then we will be able to give out "credits" to some ambassadors, like
when they attend events, so they can stock up on schwag. We need to
determine policy and procedure first, but we expect to have both kits
and vouchers.

item 4
Funding for attendance
lxmaier: here we have a kind of unwritten policy: if an ambassador
wants money to attend and/or run an event, they will write an email to
one or all of FAMSCO (Fedora AMbassadors Steering COmmittee) members,
who will then discuss and approve the expense ...or not. for the
upcoming quarter (march-may 2006) we are still waiting for a budget
approval from red hat. as soon as the budget is approved, gregdek will
report to the list.
tchung: can any ambassadors can write for famsco-list ?
lxmaier: tchung: they can write, but i will have to approve for the
message to go through

item 5
Presentations for Ambassadors
We need to provide Ambassadors with some slide decks for various
presentations. We should probably aggregate the ones we already have
and make them available. We should also figure out our policy for
licensing these presentations!
ChitleshGoorah: as MrTom said, we are working on a one-page flyer in
French. at the same time we will create an updated one for FC5
ChitleshGoorah is creating a OOo Impress document concerning Kadischi.
Hence ambassadors can spread the word.
gregdek: Have folks seen the presentation I uploaded from FUDCon
Delhi? puneet_batura can tell you how it went... You can find it at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon/FUDConDelhi2006
FrancescoUgolini: due to work prblem in the past week i could
translate only two chapter of fedora install guide, now, i've
translated 6 chapters, i think i will able to complete all, if i
haven't any problem, in two weeks.

greendisease: would like to perhaps set up an asterisk server, so we
could do Ambassadors meeting that way. he will post to the list to
introuduce the idea for discussion.
nman64: We cannot preclude people that might not have adequate
technologies. IRC is already a problem for a few people.
lxmaier: i think asterisk is a good idea--to try at least once and see
how it goes
greendisease: yeah, it should be fairly straightforward and we can
build on success if it works out

Next meeting: 2006-03-02 1400 UTC
--
Check out the new content on Fedora Project page! http://fedoraproject.org