[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Online Shopping With Fedora Stuff

Joshua Wulf jwulf at redhat.com
Sun Jan 1 12:24:01 UTC 2006

> This is an awkward position to be in, we may appear to be mean and
> pushy, picking on little people.
>
> So, the keys seem to be:
>
> 1. Have clear usage guidelines.
> 2. Gently enforce those guidelines.
> 3. Keep everyone looking for, and reporting, violations.
>
> Most people *want* to use the Fedora trademarks in a legal and
> acceptable manner.  Our job as Ambassadors is to help them do so.

I also think that's a very important point Karsten.

Perhaps one way that we might avoid looking like the bad guys is to take
the tack that someone who does not have permission to use the trademark
is not "in violation", they are simply "in omission". They've forgotten
to apply for permission because it slipped their mind or because we
didn't make it sufficiently clear how to do so.

If we make it easy for people who have omitted to apply to do so, by
gently reminding them, and explaining why such a process is necessary,
most people will comply. Those who don't will be the ones who are in
violation.

There's nothing like being accused of violating something to get people
on the defensive. Especially when they haven't done anything wrong and
their motives are innocent.

regards,
--josh