[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Ambassadors Meeting Minutes on 2006-01-19

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sun Jan 22 04:04:53 UTC 2006

Jeffrey Tadlock wrote:
> Thomas Chung wrote:
>>  * iWolf (?)
>
> That's me!
>
>>  ThomasChung
>>  - We need a banner for Fedora Project for an event
>>
>>  DavidBarzilay
>>  - need to be light (as in weight) and flexible material
>>  - gotta be durable
>
> I was the one that mentioned vinyl banners during the meeting.  I
> think these are some of the more frequently used materials in trade
> shows I have been to.  They should be pretty durable though, easy to
> clean on the spot and probably get brighter colors out of them.

My personal experience with vinyl banners has been mixed.  When they are
used lightly and well cared for, they can last and aren't hard to
maintain.  They would probably work well for our purposes.  They are
lightweight, easy to handle and move, and our usage shouldn't be putting
too much stress on them.

When I worked as management in general retail, I would sometimes get
vendors to provide banners for special events or promotions.  They
usually brought vinyl.  For the most part, they worked well.
Unfortunately, they were often damaged or destroyed by winds when used
outside.  We have some strong winds in this area sometimes.  Mild winds
aren't a problem.  Also, once a vinyl sign is damaged, it isn't going to
last much longer.  Once a tear starts, it gets bigger, and there's
nothing you can do about it.  A banner under light indoor usage can last
for years when properly cared for.  A banner left outdoors in poor
conditions can be completely destroyed in a few hours.

basic usage and care instructions to those who use it, to make sure that
the banners will not be destroyed too quickly.  These instructions might
include not putting the banner up in bad weather, and taking them down
at the end of each day (in the case of events that last more than one.)
I can provide a wealth of tips on what works and what doesn't with vinyl
banners, if anyone cares.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com