[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Shipping 101 - was Fedora Stuff @ Cool Stuff Store

Karlie Robinson karlie_Robinson at webpath.net
Thu Jun 15 13:47:29 UTC 2006

Max Spevack wrote:

> ...because clearly the shipping costs are insane out of the US.
>
> Shipping costs is the biggest problem that we have with swag, and we
> know it needs to be dealt with.
>
> --Max

Shipping costs from the USA to international locations have never been
insane.  A little expensive, but never insane.

It all comes down to the mail room and the knowledge and flexibility of
the people working there to get things from point a-b at a reasonable
cost.

Like the Pens Thomas Chung would like to ship...

Air Mail Letter Post to most locations would arrive in about 7 days and
be less than $2.55 postage.  As an added bonus, when something is less
than 1 pound customs forms aren't required.

So take a t-shirt.  If it's packaged in a light but rugged package, like
a tyvek envelope, you can get it under 1 pound.  You also have the
choice of using USPS "Flat-Rate" envelopes (no need to buy the tyvek
ones now) and shove as much into it as you possibly can for the same
price.  (BTW - Global priority, Large Flat Rate to France - $9.50 but
it's only about 1 day faster than the lower cost Air Mail options, but
you'll save if your package is heavy)

Now, if you're talking bulk discs...
100 DVDs should be 5 pounds or less (including packaging)
Again, going plain old Air Mail Parcel Post - $28.70

If you'd like to significantly reduce the import Duty... Some cases
eliminate it...the key is mark GIFT on the form.  (the reciever is going
to get slammed if you declare $500 value)

If the intention is to give the discs out at events free of charge and
there is no cost to the person you're mailing them to, then GIFT would
apply on the customs forms.

Please keep in mind, the reason I haven't quoted UPS or FedEx is because
volume plays a large role in the shipping price with the commercial
carriers.  If you're business is shipping 1-2 items a day, the USPS is
going to be the price leader.  But if you're shipping 100+ daily, the
volume discounts come into play and ounce for ounce will be less than
the United States Post Office.

Karlie "I ship for a living" Robinson