[Fedora-ambassadors-list] AREL event 12 march 2006 - Report

Chitlesh GOORAH chitlesh at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 13 17:51:40 UTC 2006

On 3/13/06, Thomas Canniot <thomas.canniot at laposte.net> wrote:
> About Fedora, not having my own laptop caused me a lot of problems.
> First, it was very difficult to request a 100% Fedora/Kadischi laptop.
> My friends do not know about Fedora that much and are more at ease - for
> the moment - with debian-like distribution.
>
> Then, not having a laptop was as well a problem to burn iso. The public
> were more interested in live-cd and I was very reluctant to burn a
> still-in-developpment live cd based on a beta-distribution. I only burnt
> one of them, to a Fedora fan (wow!).
>
> Many people were very interested in free software, as an alternative of
> warez and piracy. That is a good point we have for us. Some of them
> failed to understand that it is possible to make software for free.
>
> However i learned a lot of things about promoting fedora core.
> - I need a laptop :)

my advice don't buy packard bell !!
i had bad expericiences with it
http://clunixchit.blogspot.com/2006/02/packardbell-h5300-laptop.html
Nevertheless, Im using it to build live cds :)

> - We really need a live cd. About it, I think that we must keep the way
> it is at the moment, I mean, zero-configuration live-cd, that boots up
> without asking any question. Many people attending on the booth were a
> bit disturbed by the simple choice of the screen resolution question of
> Ubuntu live-cd for example.

I agree and I disagree.
By default, Kadischi allows any user to create his/her own livecd as
you said a zero-configuration livecd during the boot process.

But Kadischi isn't mature yet to distinguish whether a particular user
has a azerty or qwerty keyboard, a 1024x768, timezone etc.
Hence if you are creating you own livecd, kadischi will based on your
machine to find such information.

The problem comes when building a specific livecd for each ambassador
for example. Not everyone has the same keyboard and timezone.

Im uploading a new livecd (since 6 hours). This livecd during the boot
process asks you to input your timezone, network configuration and
keyboard layout, just to satisfy each ambassador through the world :)

Ill state the other features Ive included on my announcement mail later on.

Chitlesh
--
http://clunixchit.blogspot.com