[Ambassadors] SecurityFocus News about OSS

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Oct 8 06:48:35 UTC 2006

Siddharth Upmanyu wrote:
> 		Hi Guys ...
>

> just stumbled upon this 'securityfocus' news article
> i would like to bring it to notice... do you think it talks about uncovered issues and potential bugs?
>

> http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11417

Search engines whether they are targeted at specific technical domains
like code or functional domains like your desktop do not uncover
anything that wasnt previously out there. These tools make it much more
efficient to do it however.  Blaming that efficiency as a privacy or
security breach is dramatic but misleading.

We have traditionally prided ourselves in peer reviews and the success
of them in removing potential security issues early during development.
If such search engines help us do audits better and fix flaws faster,
thats a good thing.

Rahul