[Ambassadors] Active/Inactive Ambassadors

Matthias Kranz matthiaskranz at gmx.de
Tue Apr 3 13:49:34 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 14:42 +0200, Francesco Ugolini wrote:
> First of all Emeritus Ambassador is a completely different proposal, we
> are talking about Active/Inactive Ambassadors.

Hmm. Then I have got a different email here from you. In the one I have
you were talking about active/inactive ambassadors and you stated that
very active ambassadors should be distinguished by becoming a "Honored
Ambassador".

> But going over ...
>
> You say that people do nothing is not a problem, but let me say the
> reason why this is our BIG problem.
>
> First of all we are a community that have a goal: promote Fedora and
> Open Source Philosophy. A person who join this project have the role to
> do this. If he doesn't work what is doing here?
>
> We aren't paid, we don't force people to join, so why we have to allow
> people have their name in Ambassador List?

See, exactly this is my problem. You always try to distinguish people
and classify them. I really do not see why inactive ambassadors be an
obstacle for active ones?! In others words: You are unhappy with the
productiveness of today's Ambassadors. You remove all "inactive" ones.
And now tell me why this move leads to a higher productiveness of the
rest?

> In you company is better that people work or the stay on the chair
> thinking the sun? I think that if someone does this he would be fired
> instantly.

Come on. Please do not mix up totally different things. See above. If I
remove my inactive employees then I at least save some money. Maybe I am
even able to spend the saved money for more productive people but we are
talking about people who are willing to spend _some_ amount of time to
help the Fedora Project. And that's great.

> We haven't this motto: "We are an Open Source community, who doesn't do
> anything is Welcome" we ask people to work. Another point, why we ask a
> probation period, not to annoying people for a month but to see is
> someone is truly convinced to stay here.

Yeah. But this something different. If he is inactive nobody would care
about him anyway right?

> We aren't a toy that who want can use and then trow. We are serious
> people that are here to work, work, work.

Okay, I truly respect your personal motivation and engagement.

But again, I still think neither removing inactive ambassadors nor the
introduction of a different title helps the Ambassadors Project being
more productive.

Cheers,
Matthias
--