[Ambassadors] Active/Inactive Ambassadors+task+some idea

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Sat Apr 7 18:57:14 UTC 2007

Hi Francesco,

I don't mean to argue or belabor the point, but I see 'reporting'
nowhere detailed as a responsibility of an Ambassador
(I searched the following pages)
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/HowTo
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/Conduct

If there is such a responsibility, I surely fall short. I can understand
reporting for things like Linuxtag, FUDCONs etc. They are large, and are
of interest to others because they might want to replicate. Should we be
 reporting giving talks to 20-30 people? In the past 12 months, I have
given perhaps 4 presentations to LUGs, community groups, etc about
Fedora, OSS/Linux, etc. I have also organized and put on Installfests,
and helped with other Ambassadors presentations. I guess it gets back to
the point of, how does reporting help us achieve our aims:

# Represent Fedora Project to the wider public
# Help spread the word about Fedora, Linux, and Open Source
# Be a point of contact for local community members and channel the
feedback to Fedora Project
# Help recruit project contributors
# Think of creative ways for promoting Fedora in your region

Perhaps to justify our existence. Perhaps to help others make
presentations or to see how to better organize a large conference. But
do we really want to flood the mailing list with 'I talked with this guy
who works with me about Fedora today, our convesation went like this:
......' Or even the LUG-level presentations. Does it help us, or does it
merely add administrative overhead? I freely admit that I may not see
the entire picture, and really would be interested in knowing if there
is a justification for that specific a level of reporting. I just
searched fedoraprojet.org and aside from project-level reports, I only
see large event reports, like FOSDEM, FUDCon, etc. Some of those reports
are interesting - Thomas Canniot's report on AREL focuses on some needs
- - like videos to attract people to the booth. So we have these reports,
and notes on things that could be done better, but what have we done
with them. Other than the OpenVideo contest, I dont see any videos for
Fedora that try and attract end users (there are some howto videos). So
even the efficacy of reporting is a question in my mind.