Fwd: [Ambassadors] firstname.lastname at fedoraproject.org will be deleted

Thomas Chung tchung at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 18 23:01:06 UTC 2007

FYI...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com>
Date: Apr 18, 2007 3:55 PM
Subject: Re: [Ambassadors] firstname.lastname at fedoraproject.org will be deleted
To: Thomas Chung <tchung at fedoraproject.org>
Cc: fedora-ambassadors-list at redhat.com

Thomas Chung wrote:
> On 4/18/07, Fabian Affolter <fabian.affolter at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hello fellows
>>
>> Maybe you have allready checked the message from Mike McGrath in the
>> annouce-list.
>>
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2007-April/msg00004.html
>>

>> It's about the liquidation of the firstname.lastname at fedoraproject.org
>> email addresses. IMO all ambassadors should still have an adress like
>> this. To communicate with the wikiname at fedoraproject.org email address
>> to organisation teams of events and so on. It looks a bit funny when the
>> adress is like snoppy14 at fedoraproject.org.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> If I'm not the only one who think we should keep this email forwarder
>> for ambassadors, we can collect the voices and send them all to the
>> infrastructure team. Otherwise every individual have to handle this for
>> its own.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Fabian
>
> It's my understanding there is no direct relationship between WikiName
> and Email Aliases.
> In the past, we allowed Firstname.Lastname at fedoraproject.org for Email
> Aliases based on your Fedora Account but they didn't work well since
> many of us didn't use proper full name (Firstname Lastname) in their
> Fedora Account and some of us have same name.

Sorry ambassadors but there's technical reasons we can't keep
firstname.lastname and we're not going to manually maintain a list for
everyone forever.  I'm open to suggestions but unless you guys can come
up with a REALLY good reason you can't just use
username at fedoraproject.org they're gone.  We can always change your
username to something more respectable but thats the only option I see.
Sorry for the inconvenience, I know this sucks.  No one wanted to get
rid of firstname.lastname, but we had to.

    -Mike