[Ambassadors] The fedora project and local forums

Sebastian Vahl ml at deadbabylon.de
Thu Apr 26 14:51:44 UTC 2007

Hi.

I've described in my "hello"-mail that I want to start a discussion about the
status of local forums inside/outside the project and also the contact with
them. There are many international community websites out there [1]. But ATM
their only relationship to the project is that they use fedora. That's a
point you have also noticed in a FAD last year [2].
So I would like to talk about how to integrate them more into the project,
talk to them and so on. In my opinion forums and esp. local forums are the
users first touch with fedora (besides the installation itself). Of course
only for those that like forums - if they like IRC or mailinglists more they
can use the _official_ irc channels and mailinglists (and also in their
language). But the forums are normally called "community websites" - for
different reasons. But if we (as fedora project not as a lonely ambassador)
can get in contact with them and they get more involved in the project (as a
forum, not as a normal person) this could be a benefit for all of us.

The first question here is if you have already discussed this in the past? If
not it would be a good start to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of
this. I have some ideas for this but first I'd like to hear your opinion. :)

Sebastian

P.S.: If you hink that this question is absolutely wrong on this list, please
say "stop". :)

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CommunityWebsites and
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/International
[2] http://tux.u-strasbg.fr/~chit/FAD/FAD.odp