[Ambassadors] Fedora clonning or fake company

John Babich jmbabich at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 08:52:14 UTC 2007

On 8/31/07, Marc Wiriadisastra <marc at mwiriadi.id.au> wrote:

> [...]
Yes, this is an old issue. It's basically a legitimate organization
with a similar name.

> That's pretty elaborate.  They talk about Fedora Core 2.  I would be
> interested to find out what software they are offering.

They talk about Fedora 2,2.1, not Fedora Core 2. They recently
incorporated as Fedora Commons and their new site is
www.fedora-commons.org.

Their product is an open-source program written in Java for the
following purpose:

"Fedora Commons provides sustainable technologies to create, manage,
publish, share and preserve digital content as a basis for
intellectual, organizational, scientific and cultural heritage by
bringing two communities together."

The "two communities" are "communities of practice" and "software developers".

I believe there was a naming dispute at one time, but that's ancient history.

Let's show respect for a legitimate open-source organization who
happens to have a similar-sounding name.

Just my opinion...

John Babich
Fedora Ambassador