[Ambassadors] Short info about Linux Solutions Event (France)

Thomas Chung tchung at fedoraproject.org
Mon Feb 12 05:55:15 UTC 2007

On 2/10/07, Armelk <armelk at akserver.dyndns.org> wrote:
> Good afternoon Fedora Community,
>
> the last week we have in France the major event about the Open Source and
> Linux (10 000 Visitors).
> In this event the major companies are present (RedHat, Novell, Mandriva,
> IBM Open Source, Alcove, Bull,...) and in parallel a lot of free
> associations or development are present to (Fedora, Debian, Unbutu,
> KDE,...)
> During this event a lot of French Fedora Ambassadors are present and the
> Fedora Users are present to. We have a lot of very interesting discussions
> about the future of Fedora, issues, requests, .... It's very interesting
> time for the Fedora French community to share the same knowledge and the
> same passion.
> In the Linux community, we have a very good image and Fedora is a serious
> distribution. But the French Ambassador Team doesn't play in the same
> division of Unbutu, Debian,... WHY ?
> No real support from the Fedora US, we waiting the Fedora DVD and Fedora
> T-Shirt. Special thank to RedHat EMA, Frantz Meyer, William Hoffman, for
> 100 Fedora Core 6 DVD.
> This is the second time we have the same issue with the Famsco, lot of
> promise but nothing in the acts. The French ambassadors are really
> despites.
>
> I cross the fingers for the next event WE have a VERY STRONG SUPPORT from
> the Famsco side, for your info, in France during the spring we have a lot
> of local events (Install Party, Linux Day,...) and the next major event
> for you is the Fosdem/Fudcon and I 'sorry I don't participate at this
> event.
>

> Have a nice day.
>
> ArmelKermorvant
> French Ambassador & Vice-President Fedora-FR

For the record, Fedora Project (USA) *did* sent 350 DVDs to
WilliamHoffmann (Red Hat France) per DamienDurand (Fedora Ambassadors
France)'s special request on 2007-01-17.
However, because of the *over-weight*, the package could not shipped
via US Priority Mail instead it was shipped US Air Mail. It also
required two separate custom forms to fill out.
Unfortunately the package did not arrive on time for the event in France.

As a result, FAMSco made a new rule regarding Fedora Ambassadors
Material Request.
"For any request more than 100 DVDs, Ambassadors are *required* to
produce them locally and get reimbursed."  This decision was agreed
with WilliamHoffmann as well.

Please do not assume Fedora Project (USA) do not care about Fedora
Ambassadors and Fedora Events in France. We do care about *all* events
in *all* countries.  This was simply an unfortunate incident and it
will not happen again as long as we all follow this new rule.

As a reminder, if you plan to attend an event as a Fedora Ambassador
and you need Fedora DVDs, you must submit the request at least two
weeks before the event. Otherwise, we cannot guarantee the package
will arrive on time.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/GetStuff/Tracker

Best Regards,
--
Thomas Chung
Fedora Ambassadors Steering Committee Chair