[Ambassadors] Arguments needed

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 16:32:24 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 16:14 +0000, John Mackay wrote:
> On 2/14/07, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
>         On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 16:14 +0100, Thomas Canniot wrote:
>         > Le mercredi 14 février 2007 à 08:19 -0600, Rex Dieter a
>         écrit :
>         > > Thomas Canniot wrote:
>         > >
>         > > > Trying to promote Fedora and the use of yum (instead of
>         third manager
>         > > > like smart)
>         > >
>         > > Why (yum vs smart)?
>         > >
>         >
>         > smart seems faster from his point of view, downloading
>         packages for
>         > example, as it is able to download many packages at the same
>         time.
>
>         I don't use smart, so can anyone explain this part to me?  Is
>         there a
>         difference between downloading 3 packages at 100KB/sec each,
>         and
>         downloading 1 package at 300KB/sec?
>
> The same reasson download managers split one file in several pieces
> and download all of it simultaneously.

I'm talking about bandwidth and speed -- there is, I assume, something
to be gained from opening up additional sockets to a remote host, but at
the end of the day, with an efficient server on the other side, you're
still constrained by whatever bandwidth is actually available to
download files, yes?  In other words, if I find a host that can send me
files using the full bandwidth of my cable modem at ~700 KB/sec, how
does splitting the file into pieces actually help, other than recovery
from an interruption?