[Ambassadors] Ambassadors Report - SCALE5X

Sam Folk-Williams samfw at redhat.com
Wed Feb 14 21:28:34 UTC 2007

On 02/13/07 11:33 -0800 Thomas Chung wrote:
> All,
>
> Here is my report on SCALE5X[1] - Fifth Annual Southern California Linux
> Expo.
> According to recent announcement[2], there were over 1000 attendees in
> this year's event.
> Close to 70 exhibitors[3] including Non-Profit Organizations,
> Commercial Vendors and User Groups. This is my second year
> participation for Fedora Project[4] and I feel this year is much
> improved and crowded event than previous year. Also I was told this is
> the first time Red Hat[5]'s participation to this event.
>
> Our booth was manned by myself alone this year since I could not find
> any help or volunteers. Although a nice folk from CACert Booth (right
> behind our booth) was very helpful and even offered me to cover our
> booth while I need to take a short break. Also I would like to give
> special thanks to Jeff Carlson from SCALE staff who checked on me
> everyday if I need anything.
>
> This year, we've decided to accept contributions for Fedora Core 6
> DVDs (x86, x86_64 and ppc) which was Max Spevack's idea.  We accepted
> $1 for each DVD and $5 for custom built Fedora Updates DVD and Live
> CD. There were several people who just made donation without taking
> any media.  We also offered a Drawing of Free Fedora T-Shirts for
> those contributed for media but most of them just wanted to order on
> the spot to support Fedora Project and Fedora Free Media Program[6]
> which all proceeds will go to this program.
>
> Overall, I had a great time even though I suffered a minor backache
> and lost my voice. Here are some photos[7] I took.  The last photo is
> me in our booth sitting alone thinking how can we get booth babes, I
> mean more volunteers just like Google booth which was right next to
> our booth. :)

Thanks for your great work at SCALE, Thomas!

As you know I was there as well but I was working the Red Hat booth. We have
already spoken with the SCALE folks to make sure that next year the Red Hat and
the Fedora booths are together in one large booth. I think having us so far
apart was an unfortunate situation. It's very exhausting work and it's way too
much for one person to do all alone. So, again, sorry I could not be more
helpful to you. I really appreciate having you there and I know everyone else
does as well.

On the upside - I think SCALE was a very big success for both Red Hat and
Fedora. My report is here:

http://samfw.blogspot.com/2007/02/scale-5x-day-1.html

-Sam

> [1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents/SCALE5X
> [2]
> http://mail.socallinuxexpo.com/pipermail/scale-announce/2007-February/000041.html
> [3] http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale5x/exhibitions.php
> [4] http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale5x/exhibitions/fedora.php
> [5] http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale5x/exhibitions/redhat.php
> [6] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/FreeMedia
> [7] http://fedoranews.org/tchung/scale5x/
> --
> Thomas Chung
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ThomasChung

Sam Folk-Williams, RHCE		Red Hat Global Support Services
Phone: 919/754-4558		GPG ID: 1B0D46BA