[Ambassadors] Poll ?? No!!

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Feb 18 04:29:05 UTC 2007

Patrick W. Barnes wrote:

> I believe his point is that, at present, anyone on this mailing list is
> supposed to have completed the CLA.

Supposed to, yes. In reality, there are many people who have not.

   The marketing list doesn't have that
> requirement, so merging them would make it more difficult to keep track of
> what list members have what privileges and status.

It is pretty trivial to query the cla_done group via
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/AccountSystem/QueryAccount
if you are uploading or redistribution content but members should always
  upload it themselves and all redistribution should have proper
licensing  anyway.

  Sometimes there will be
> discussions where the subject matter applies only to contributors that have
> completed the CLA.   Those discussions would become considerably more complex,
> and any measure of propriety would be lost.

It seems we are just speculating here. I doubt any *discussions* should
be based on CLA requirements. Content is the only that matter for the CLA.

Also, anything delivered through
> the mailing list that we would want to use elsewhere would have to be checked
> for an applicable CLA.

  .. which is one of the reasons we always encourage people to upload
content themselves. Since if they have edit access to the wiki, they
already signed the CLA.

We should avoid the club mentality. Ambassadors was born as a sub
project for marketing and came out from the idea of community marketing
contacts. "Marketing" is not a dirty word even in the world of Free
software and has considerable effects as already proven by groups like
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/. Going direct is pretty important for us.
Increasing and concentrating the efforts as a group is a first step for
that.  We already have many discussions copied into both lists because
folks dont know whether they need to limit it one list among these two.
That is a pretty good sign that we need to converge. Lets stop the
proliferations of projects and mailing lists.

Rahul