[Ambassadors] Max's Blog Post re: Ambassadors Discussion

Francesco Ugolini francesco.ugolini at fedoraproject.org
Mon Feb 26 17:55:08 UTC 2007

Jeffrey Tadlock ha scritto:

> In reading Max's blog post on 2/24 [1] he brings up some key points that
> I feel merit further discussion on helping build a strong foundation for
> the ambassadors.
>
> :Begin snippet of Max's Blog post:
> "Part of this problem is one of localization. You can go through the
> process of learning to be an Fedora packager regardless of where you
> live, but unless you are near a place where there are already active
> Ambassadors organizing events, it's hard to get real experience doing an
> event.
>
> Another topic of conversation was helping to delegate responsibility. If
> an event is going to happen, there are several roles that need to be
> filled. One is purely operational -- coordinating with the location,
> scheduling the talks, making sure that there are handouts or posters,
> getting swag, publicity, etc. The skill set needed to do these kinds of
> things is different from the skill set needed once you actually get to
> the event and stand at the booth or deliver a talk.
>
> Once you're actually speaking about Fedora, now it's about the message,
> and I think that for a lot of Ambassadors, we need to do a better job of
> filtering. Freedom, choice, community model -- those are the core
> principles of Fedora. After that, you need to be able to say in about 30
> to 60 seconds what the high points of the current release are, and what
> the next release will include."
> :End snippet of Max's Blog post:
>

> Organizing an event does take some real work and for some it might not
> be their area of expertise.  I do think there are several things the
> Ambassador project could do to help lower this hurdle and increase the
> number of local events Fedora has a presence at.
>
> My thoughts are based on what I learned from helping organize the Fedora
> presence at the Ohio Linux Fest in 2006.  While we prepared for this
> event we felt there must be a better way to organize for something such
> as this - something a little more cookie cutter to reduce the actual
> work load of organizing the materials and such and allow more time
> focusing on other areas while at the event.
>
> I think one thing that could go very far in helping with some of the
> larger events is to see the Event Kit that Jack Aboutboul worked on come
> to realization.  The page for the Event Kit [2] is blank.  I think we
> should look at the Gnome Event Box [3] as something the Fedora Project
> should put in place.  For those unfamiliar with the Gnome Event Box, it
> is a large, sturdy box that they ship to Gnome volunteers presenting at
> various events.  It includes an LCD screen, a desktop computer, mouse,
> keyboard, various networking equipment, posters/banners and materials to
> help in hanging these things at the booth.  It is close to a booth in a
> box.  Something such as this reduces the amount of work that must be
> repeated each time someone from the Fedora Project attends an event.

> [...]

+++++

I, also, think that it's necessary to have first a good localization and
then all event kit, as you know if you are not living in USA you have to
wait up to 2 week to receive the package and it cost a lot more that
build localized event (ambassador) kit. So i think we have, first of
all, to work on localization.

That's my opinion

Regards

Francesco Ugolini

p.s. I want to remember all that Ambassador Award Nominations are open
until 28th February. And thank to all Ambassador who shared with me the
grateful experience of FOSDEM.

--
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FrancescoUgolini