[Ambassadors] Merging of Ambassadors and Marketing lists

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Feb 28 18:37:33 UTC 2007

> Little late here. I would respect the committee's decision in this
> particular instance but if you are going to take a vote in the future,
> dont override the majority vote or atleast set the expectations right.

I wasn't involved in the pre-poll situation, but there does sound like
some confusion and dual-usage of the term "poll".  A place you vote for
an election is called a "poll", as in, "The polls are closed."  However,
an opinion poll is a different event.  It is not a direct vote on
matters but a guidance vote, showing the current opinion of a voting
populace.  As such, it informs and guides the leadership.

So, it sounds as if what we had here was an opinion poll.  Personally, I
don't mind seeing opinion polls in strongly divided issues; it helps
people to see clearly who thinks what and why.  And unlike typical
opinion polls, this process allows each person to express a full
opinion.  It is when things get to a hard vote that I think we are in
dire water.

> Besides nobody seems to be interested in having any sort of "global
> marketing strategy" in the marketing list. End result is that marketing
> list would generally be inactive and folks here continue cross posting
> on various occasions splitting up the conversations across multiple
> mailing lists.

IMO, it is worth the effort to clean up our topic split and be ruthless
about cross-posting.  I personally enjoy global marketing strategy
discussions, and will become involved in that again as i) the topic
rules are cleaned up, ii) the list is easier to read, and iii) FDSCo has
now grown in size so I can free up more time for other stuff.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project