[Ambassadors] Fedora Emeritus Ambassadors

Jeffrey Tadlock linux at elfshadow.net
Wed Feb 28 21:35:40 UTC 2007

Francesco Ugolini wrote:
> I've a small proposal that consist in the creation of a Fedora Emeritus
> Ambassador, an experienced and active Ambassador who have the
> possibility to address (trough specific rights) the Ambassadors'
> activity, i think he will be a good guide to newbie and to everyone that
> need help (eg. there is a poll and i don't know the effects this will
> have on the project, like the Merging Issue
> (www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/MergingIssue).

The mentors project sounds like it would be great to helping a "newbie"
work with the Fedora Ambassadors.  The Ambassadors have two people
listed, other interested people should add their name to the list.  Keep
things simple and avoid the fork.  There are already means in place to
help new people contribute to various portions of the project they are
interested in.

As for the poll regarding the merger.  I don't think we need a special
group of Ambassadors to tell us what effects various decisions might and
might not have on the project.  Open discussion on the Ambassador list
presents the opportunity for all to contribute - new people and those
that have been doing this for awhile.  The Ambassadors that have been
doing this for awhile will easily be able to contribute to the open
discussion.

> It's just an Emeritus role. He has no power, when i talk about rights i
> talk about the importance they will have on Fedora Ambassador Project.
> Attention: they will not be like FAmSCo, they will be the people that
> can help the project.

Again, let's not add complexity to the project and have varying levels
of "rank".  *All* of us can help the project.  Keep an even playing
field and keep it simple.  That is the way to encourage active
participation.

> I want to remember that we aren't (considering all the fedora ambassador
> project) all such type of ambassadors, the people i suggested in my
> first message are the most important, in my opinion, because their
> opinion were/are/will be followed by all, independently from the country
> and independently from the ideas.

Most important?  I agree there are some very hard workers that
contribute greatly to the project, but declaring some contributors more
important than others is not welcoming for new contributors.  Again,
keep things simple.  We should all be trying to help each other whenever
we can - not spending our time setting up various levels of Ambassador
membership.  That starts to become too much like an elite club and is in
my opinion more apt to discourage people from contributing.

--Jeffrey