[Ambassadors] Need team for National level annual technical symposium, India.

Tejas Dinkar tejasdinkar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 14:45:55 UTC 2007

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006, susmit shannigrahi sent out 4.6K bytes to say:
> I don't know if this proposal can be accepted...The only thing i am sure
> about that selection of any
> ambassador is upon the steering commitee,I can not give any assurence on
> that.

My comments are inline. This is so DISTURBING, It's not even funny.

> So..what you all think? The main point being they can give us slot only on
> the day before
> the main event starts...
>
> Dear Friend,
>    We are happy to say that we would be wanting to collaborate with the
> Fedora Community during MUKTI 2007.
>    We are ready to give slots for lectures to the Fedora Community on how
> to use fedora on the 15th of February, 2007 the day before MUKTI starts
> right
> inside the campus of NIT Durgapur, provided you assure us the credibility,
> technical ability and eloquency of the speaker. You will also be getting
> help from us to spread the Fedora word in the campus during MUKTI and can
> also interact with the students. You can also bring along any publicity
> material that you may want to distribute or display.

They are getting us confused with some sort of commercial entity. The
disturbing part is next.

>   We expect a team af about 10 (i hope more) people from you, all students
> from different technical institutes along with your speaker, who should be a
> professional and not a student.

So they want 10 people to come eh? Specifically, 10 Students from other
colleges, and a speaker who ISN'T a student?

And why not? Is it an embarrassment to the college if they have a
student speaking? I now a lot of students more qualified than most of
the `professional`s in the world to speak.

> We hope that MUKTI will be linked from all
> your official websites and must be posted in our mailing list regulalry.

This is the most disturbing part. This is a clear and obvious indication
of their motives.

They are just in this for the publicity.

They don't want to actually _DO_ anything great, but they want to see
their name up in lights.

In other words, they simply want to say `our project was sponsored by
the `Fedora Project` a multi-million dollar `Professional Entity``

Don't worry NIT-D. Your names WILL be posted in all the mailing lists.
With a lot of shame and embarrasment.

> As discussed over the phone, one student nominated by Linux Users' Group.
> NIT Durgapur must be selected to be a Fedora Country Ambassador without any
> probation period. The name will be informed to you as soon as you confirm to
> this mail.

This part REALLY takes the cake. Apart from the fact that the there IS
no barrier to anyone joining ambassadors (it's a 45 second process), and
there IS no probation period, they forgot the most important part:

Ambassadors _DO_ things. Just because you are `nominated` to be an
ambassador doesn't mean that you will accomplish everything.

They want to hold some ceremony, and announce
`Today, xxxx xxx was announced as the official Fedora Ambassador for the
state of xxxxx. WE are all so proud of him.....`.

If you ask me, I say we DON'T speak at this college, until every single
`Term and Condition` is dropped.
--
Tejas Dinkar
http://gja.in