[Ambassadors] IU LinuxFest - 11-Apr-2007 - clarification, please.

Thomas Chung tchung at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 2 20:25:16 UTC 2007

On 3/2/07, Gaddis, Jeremy L. <jeremy at linuxwiz.net> wrote:
> Good {morning|afternoon|evening} list,
>
> Please forgive what may be my ignorance as I have just recently become
> involved with the Fedora Project, am still trying to take everything
> in, and am sure there are things I don't yet completely understand.
>
> IU LinuxFest[1] is an annual, one-day event organized by the Unix
> Systems Support Group[2] at Indiana University[3] to draw attention to
> Linux from students, faculty, staff, and the general public.  Though
> not on behalf on the Fedora Project, I have attended this annual event
> for the last several years.
>
> Seeing as how I recently became involved in the Fedora Project as an
> Ambassador, I thought this would be an excellent first opportunity to
> help promote Fedora.  I know the organizers of this event and have
> been reserved booth space for a Fedora display.
>
> "How to be an Ambassador"[4] states, "For the first 30 days, the
> status of a newbie Ambassador will be 'on probation', during which
> time they have a chance to prove themselves to the group by
> contributing to the project (see Ideas below)".  Under Ideas, one
> thing listed is "Sign up Fedora Project for regional events", which I
> have now done.
>
> Unfortunately, the Material Request Form[5] states, "Ambassadors must
> also complete at[sic] thirty-day probation period before they can
> request new merchandise, ...".
>
> Last October, I once again attended the Ohio LinuxFest in Columbus,
> Ohio, and witnessed a Fedora booth there (manned by Jeffrey Tadlock,
> perhaps?).  It was well set-up and looked very nice with the Fedora
> banners and such (yes, I bought a bumper sticker and t-shirt!).
>
> Ideally, I would like to be able to obtain a banner to set up at the
> booth.  I understand that t-shirts are on short supply and probably
> out of the question, but that's not an issue.  I can burn a few
> hundred Fedora DVDs and eat the cost myself, that's not an issue
> either.
>
> Since I am still under the umbrella of the 30-day probationary period,
> however, am I correct in my understanding that I cannot request items
> such as a banner for temporary usage at a Linux event and that I am
> pretty much left up to my own resources to handle this?
>
> Any clarification is appreciated.
>
> [1] http://tinyurl.com/2voxb4
> [2] http://www.ussg.indiana.edu/
> [3] http://www.indiana.edu/
> [4] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/HowTo
> [5] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/GetStuff
>
> Thanks,
> -j
>
> --
> Jeremy L. Gaddis, MCP, GCWN             jeremy at linuxwiz.net
> LinuxWiz Consulting                     http://linuxwiz.net

Hi Jeremy,
Don't concern too much about "30-day probation". This is when you're
getting familiar with Fedora Project and Ambassadors Project.
Please submit your media request for your event via Ambassadors Media
Request Form.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/GetStuff
I'll ask Max if we can afford to create a banner for you.
Regards,
--
Thomas Chung