[Ambassadors] CLA in german

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 16 19:52:18 UTC 2007

Fabian Affolter wrote:
> Thomas Canniot schrieb:
>> Well, I don't know if translating a licence can be considered as valid.
>> In French, a licence / law translation is not considered as valid due to
>> numerous misinterpretations.
>
> It's a translation of a very complex text and in my eyes it's haven't to
> be vaild (see below). It's hard to understand even in german. For
> non-english speaking constributor it's the only way to become an
> impression of the content of CLA.
>
> The translator has made it clear in the into:
>
> "Als Grundlage für einen Vertrag gilt ausschliesslich die
> englischsprachige Originalversion des CLA."
>
> "The basis for a contract is considered exclusively the english original
> version of the CLA."
>
> and at the end:
>
> "Diese Übersetzung ist kein rechtskräftiger Ersatz für die
> englischsprachige Originalversion."
>
> "This translation is not a valid replacement for the english original
> version."

To add to that, you can add a prominent disclaimer on top "In case of a
contradiction between the Official English version of the contributory
license agreement and the community German translation, the English
version must be considered authoritative. This translation is only
available to help German users understand the CLA and must not be
considered as a legal document". In German of course.

Rahul