[Ambassadors] Need a few points..

Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail mohd.izhar.firdaus at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 16:43:51 UTC 2007

On 3/17/07, Siddharth Upmanyu <siddharth at techbugs.org> wrote:

> ----------
>
> While initiating the GNU Project, RMS wrote:
>
> "From:   RMS%MIT-OZ at mit-eddie
> Newsgroups:  net.unix-wizards,net.usoft
> Subject:  new UNIX  implementation
> Date:  Tue, 27-Sep-83  12:35:59 EST
>
> "I consider that  the golden rule requires that if I  like a program I
> must  share it  with  other people  who  like it.   I  cannot in  good
> conscience  sign  a  nondisclosure  agreement or  a  software  license
> agreement.
>
> So  that  I  can  continue  to  use  computers  without  violating  my
> principles, I have  decided to put together a  sufficient body of free
> software so that I will be able to get along without any software that
> is not free.
>
> ..."

Using this point is quite hard to convince normal users and developers
who has been taught in MS style development in their education  ..

I'm also interested to know some good points on how to convince these
type of people .. Its easy to convince those with high computer
interest ..  but others .. its quite hard for me ..

In some countries (mine included) , piracy is all over the place and
people took it for granted .. preaching about free software, it
benefit to them, and licensing etc doesnt give much effect .. they get
lots of commercial softwares for nearly free in the first place, and
some even have something like this in their mindset -> "Why would i
bother to learn to use free software/linux while i can get commercial
apps nearly free too .. licensing?? whats that?? like i care... nobody
will put lawsuit against me anyway"

[snip]
regards
Hikaru