[Ambassadors] Attn: Indian Ambassadors

rajeevrk at xlncenterprises.com rajeevrk at xlncenterprises.com
Thu May 3 16:53:42 UTC 2007

> rajeevrk at xlncenterprises.com wrote:
>> Dear Santosh / All
Indian Ambassadors,

>> This is my first post in a
while, primarily because of some really messy
>> scheduling
professionally, My personal consulting firm is currently

involved in 2 rather time hungry projects, which are both being based
on
>> fedora(one is a big statewide governmental project even,
for the State
>> govt of Bihar).
>
> Can you
give us more information? My pet peeve is folks installing

Fedora all over the place and not telling us a word about it although
> that's always better than folks not installing Fedora ;-). It would
be
> nicer to collaborate in whatever ways we can.

Hi, sorry about the earlier mail, was writing it on a clients doze
laptop
on ie, and it decided that my mail looked fine enough
incomplete, and decided to send it as i was typing :D

Lol, if
that's the case, i'm probably your enemy number one, coz i've hardly
said a thing on this list. The two current projects are

1.  A  project for the State Govt of Bihar, where we are
looking to automate the process
of the chief ministers office which
holds janta darbars. The system registers complaints,
has a copy of
the voters database (~ 8 crore records, thankfully not accessed inline),
is available on a web based interface, accessible to every public service
officer(district
magistrate, superintendent of police, chief medical
officer etc) at the district level, and all
minesterial and
secretariat level officers. All complaints are routed automatically,
based
on types, and are integrated with a strong Workorder system.
The entire system is built
on customised GNUEnterprise components,
running on fedora servers(sweet little 2U 64Bit
IBM 346's), mysql
database, and firefox browser based(yes, i have put this in the
requirements. IE's CSS just makes the site look plain UGLY, and i'd much
rather NOT
fix it and break standards).

 2. Setup of
a linux support center in mumbai. This is a pet project of my
company,  i'm helping set up a dedicated linux support cell. One of
the issues that i have consistently faced is the fact that i can migrate a
corporate network effortlessly, and actually have clients begging for me
to do their desktops after they feel the linux experience on their
servers,
not to mention the snazzy graphics. but i'm reluctant to
get into it as supporting desktop users is just totally beyond me as an
individual. that's where my company can step in, after the migration, and
handle AMC style support on redhat/fedora platforms(more distros maybee,
later). Am in the process right now of training a few engineers, and have
a client in
had for a pilot with a network of about 60+ systems, of
which 45+ have been targeted for
conversion, all to Fedora7, in june.
I need to have both site and on-call tech's trained by
then.=, to
handle that client and the flood that i expect soon after, from word of
mouth.

so i hope you can see how messy my schedule must be
right about now :P

>>  This really means
the bottom line for me is,
>>     a. I'm making enough dough
via mostly fedora consulting to be able
>> to afford the cost
of dvds, burning etc enough cd's to more or less wipe
>> out
the monthly deficit, and i can burn them to, as i work, it's just
>> popping discs in the tray each time it spits one out...
>>     b. What i really lack is the time to pack, label and
dispatch them.
>> That's where i hope someone else here could
assist me. If i could work
>> with someone who  lives
reasonably close to me, i could just burn the
>> dvd's in bulk,
and pass them on, and they could actually distribute them

across to the list.

>> Maybe in a couple of
months from now(i.e. when i actually get paid
>> properly --
you know the govt :P ), my little consulting firm may

actually be in a position to tie up with some cd/dvd distributor to
>> formally sponsor media, but until then, do you ppl think this
is a
>> workable solution? Do let me know...
>
> Sounds feasible. Where are you located?

Mumbai,