[Ambassadors] Fedora Ambassadors Steering Committee Election

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Tue Nov 20 00:34:16 UTC 2007

Pablo Barrera wrote:
> Hi all...
>

>     I agree the Ambassador group seems to have lost some steam since its
>     initial beginnings.  Though, there still are several parts of the
>     world accomplishing very good things for Fedora.  I am not sure if
>     getting rid of the Steering Committee is the right way to correct
>     things though.  That seems like it might fragment things even further
>     into isolated pockets of ambassadors.  It might also make
>     reimbursements tougher, as well as adding another hurdle for new
>     ambassadors to really get started.  I know the aid of FAmSCo helped me
>     out a lot during my first event planning for the Ohio Linux Fest in
>     2006.
>

> Yes, but Live in USA. For Fedora in USA is more easy. What about the
> rest of the world. We are Fedora too.

Yes, and the current Famsco certainly represents a wide spread. 1/2 of
famsco members are from outside of the USA. While logistically US
Ambassadors might have an easier time of getting swag, the EMEA
Ambassadors are far better organized and cohesive; especially the French
and German Ambassadors.

>     As for the number of meetings.  The meetings page says they are still
>     supposed to be meeting every 2nd Monday of the month.  The meeting
>     minutes do only show one meeting for this year.  While I think the
>     Steering Committee should have a more active meeting schedule than
>     that - I don't think the solution is to scrap that committee - rather
>     use this election to change things.
>

> Not scrap! not at all. Modify the dynamics of the FAMSCO. I am not
> agree to dissolve, but we need to evolve too...
>

>     What does an ideal Steering Committee look like to me?  A group of
>     energetic leaders, helping lower the hurdles for both Ambassador
>     membership *and* make putting on an event easier.  A group of people
>     that can take things to the Fedora Board when needed for ideas that
>     can reshape the Ambassadors.  A group of people that listen to
>     Ambassadors from each region to help improve the Ambassador group as a
>     whole.  A group of people who are active on the mailing lists - both
>     in supporting other people's events and ideas and bringing new ideas
>     to the table.

I agree wholeheartedly!