[Ambassadors] Ambassador counting by region

Fabian Affolter fab at fedoraproject.org
Sun Apr 6 14:35:47 UTC 2008

Hi all,

This is my approach to get more (and hopefully better) metrics about the
Ambassadors Project with my poor python programming skills. During March
I added the new ambassadors by hand to the statistics page [1]. That's
not the way we want to go...Francesco Crippa made a python script [2] to
count the members of the Fedora Ambassadors Project. His idea was to
collect the diffs of the Country List page [3].  Unfortunately this page
is updated manually and because of that not very reliable.  IMHO the
better way is to get the data from the several category pages (for
example CategoryAmbassadorsFrance).  The personal wiki pages of the
ambassadors are often more up-to-date because Thomas Chung add the
category after verification.

My script is quite simple and at the moment just a working prototype.

There is a list of countries.  With this list the script will get all
links from the category pages (incl. the wiki names), then do some work
with regex and print out a number.  This number is the count of all
ambassadors in the selected countries.  Download the script and improve
it [4].

If you are a python pro feel free to tell me what I can do better in
this script.  Any kind of suggestions are welcome.

Maybe I will expand this script in the future.  I would like to have a
log function (writing the data to a file with time and data),  selection
of the area through user input, and some other small thing like error
handling and a test if the the script got all data form the Fedora wiki.
  At the moment with moinmoin it's a pain and there have to be more than
one run to get all the data, 502 Proxy Error...sooner or later
everything will be fine with mediawiki.  Send your ideas for more
extensions and code snippets to me ;-)

If you want to help us to collect more and detailed data for metrics and
statistics about the Ambassadors Project step up.  FAmSco will
appreciate your work because this ways we (or better Max) can ensure
that we get money for the promotion of Fedora from RH.  Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Fabian

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/Statistics
[2]