[Ambassadors] Ambassador counting by region

Jeffrey Tadlock linux at elfshadow.net
Sun Apr 6 15:30:10 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Fabian Affolter <fab at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>  Maybe I will expand this script in the future.  I would like to have a log
> function (writing the data to a file with time and data),  selection of the
> area through user input, and some other small thing like error handling and
> a test if the the script got all data form the Fedora wiki.  At the moment
> with moinmoin it's a pain and there have to be more than one run to get all
> the data, 502 Proxy Error...sooner or later everything will be fine with
> mediawiki.  Send your ideas for more extensions and code snippets to me ;-)

Automation is a great thing.  I am thinking we should take another
direction with this though.  Screen scraping is apt to be unreliable
and much more likely to be affected by changes than something that we
run against FAS2 itself.

FAS2 should have the information as to whether a person is in the
Ambassador group and have country information.  We can take the screen
scraping and turn it all into DB queries to get the results we want.
It could possibly be broadened in scope and applied to more groups
than just the Ambassadors - that would allow other groups to see how
their membership is distributed regionally.  I would not think we
would run into privacy issues if we only return the country.

We all know infrastructure is a busy team, but I would think we could
get the schema layout and then work up a script or module for FAS2.
Then let an infrastructure team dev review the work and figure out how
best to plug it into an automated job or as a component to FAS2.

I think what you have done so far is great work, I would just consider
trying to use the database that contains the information we need
rather than need to rely on screen scraping the wiki.

Thanks!
~Jeffrey