[Ambassadors] Ambassadors Meeting EMEA - IRC Summary 2008-04-16

Fabian Affolter fab at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 16 22:44:40 UTC 2008

FAmSco

Release events - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/ReleaseEvents
FrancescoUgolini want to invite everyone to make something for the F9
release event.  Just take a look at this mail from Jeffrey:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-ambassadors-list/2008-April/msg00043.html
   Release Events are important because they are the final piece of a
long and hard development process.  He know this year we announced it
late but he hope you could create something.

Clean-up the Ambassadors parts on the wiki
The members of FAmSCo deleted a lot of obsolete pages but there are
still many pages left.  This pages needs some work on them. Check
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/SteeringCommittee/CleanUpPages
if you are able to help us improve our part in the fedora wiki. BTW,
soon we will migrate to mediawiki.  The test instance is available at
https://publictest1.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Main_Page . MaxSpevack said
that the impact of the migration on Ambassadors should be minimal. But
Fedora Infrastructure will be very pleasant to hear from you if you have
experience with mediawiki, especially with the migration from moinmoin
to mediawiki.
FrancescoUgolini sent the announcement
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-ambassadors-list/2008-April/msg00116.html
Please check your personal wiki page if all data are up-to-date.  We
have several Ambassadors with invalid email addresses and some who still
have there name.surname at fedoraproject.org addresses on the wiki.  Please
verifiy also if your CategoryAmbassadors(+Country) entry is still valid.

Polo shirts
You have 2 days left to place your order at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/PoloShirt for LinuxTag.

Ambassadors Membership
As of 2008-04-14, 352 Ambassadors have been verified (signed CLA and
joined 'ambassadors' group).  The Ambassadors statistics page (
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/Statistics ) will hopefully be
updated soon with more accurate numbers. FabianAffolter will use his
script as long that we have no better option to generate some statistics
through FAS2.  FranescoCrippa made some improvements his "stats" script.
  Now it runs also for "EditGroup" page or other "group" pages.  He have
also made a small project based on turbogear to put charts online
automatically.  Helping hands are welcome.

Events
Past events
For OpenExpo visit
http://fabaff.blogspot.com/2008/03/openexpo-2008-berne-collection.html
for details about this event and for Notacon
http://axelilly.wordpress.com/2008/04/09/event-report-fedora-at-notacon-5/
(not an European event).
DimitrisGlezos reported about the FOSSComm that the event was a success.
  His talk attracted a lot of people (mostly FOSS contributors, not new
users) and he recruited 2 Google Summer of Codes for L10n/Transifex.
They handed out 200 CDs, too.  There is a Greek blog post:
http://dimitris.glezos.com/weblog/2008/03/26/fosscomm-recap and some
pictures http://dimitris.glezos.com/photos/various/fosscomm08/

Upcomming events
Fedora day, Cairo
DiaaRadwan will have Fedora day on one of the largest universities on
Egypt. So far there are some issues with the customs.  MaxSpevack sent
DiaaRadwan a bunch of Swag to support Fedora Day in Egypt.  The outline
on the sessions will be: FOSS and history of GNU/Linux, fedora,
benefits, and how to contribute.  The second: Preparing development
environment on fedora based server or shell scripting session.This the
first event I co-organize as fedora ambassador. First session will be
FOSS and history of GNU/Linux, fedora, benefits and how to contribute.
second one would be either preparing development environment on fedora
based server or shell scripting session. <diaa> the expected attendees
are 90 on the first one and 40 on the second. <diaa> unfortunately, the
event is before the release of 9.

Grazer Linuxtage, Linuxdays in Geneva, and OpenSource Expo will be
removed from the Fedora Events list because there will be no attendance.
JoergSimon said that OpenSource Expo will be not far from his place but
the problem is that it is right in front of LinuxTag.  MaxSpevack wants
to focus all our effort on LinuxTag.  GeroldKassube mentioned that  we
are to less Ambassadors to handle every event and we have to less money
for covering all this things.  Another issue is that we have no support
by Red Hat (in Europe) right now.

Froscon
MaxSpevack will submit a talk and plan to attend the show, if it is
accepted.  JeroenVanMeeuwen will submit a a talk, too.

liberaMENTE
LucaFoppiano said that they will go to use the automaic Fedora Live USB
Key creator. FrancescoCrippa will give a talk about the Fedora Community

LinuxTag
We have 21 attendees and a place to sleep.  But there is still a lot of
work left. The booth setup call is already out
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents/LinuxTag/LinuxTag2008/BoothSetup
. GeroldKassube said that our booth will be raised up to max. 20 sqm
(not only 16qm).  He will have a meeting with the Linuxtag projects
board on 2008-04-26 (also) to discuss that point.  But there are only
450 sqm for more than 75 free projects and we will get one of the
biggest size :-(  Because of that issue he decided to cancel the
troubleshooting contest (because it's not ready right now) and we try to
keep our focus on the gadget with "get your USB stick filled here".  The
order of the Fedora Ambassadors Polo shirt will be done next week.

JensKuehnel is working on the preparation of the FUDCon.  He is looking
for some speakers, especially for a speaker about FreeIPA or cobbler.
JoergSimon confirmed the talk from ThibaultNorth.  And JeroenVanMeeuwen
will send an abstract before midnight.  MaxSpevack will try to organize
a talk about cobbler.

Status of the NPO
We are still waiting for official confirmation.  GeroldKassube believe
the registration will be fullfilled within the next days.

Open Floor
<snip>
<GeroldKa> we will have two female at the booth
</snip>

Next meeting (so far)

2008-05-14 - 20.00 UTC