[Ambassadors] musings on education outreach

Prakhar Agarwal prakhar.jiit at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 00:41:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 5:33 AM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, here comes a rather not well thought out collection of ideas
> for ways that ambassadors can reach out to the academic world. It
> is a bit rushed since I wanted to get it out before the meeting
> this evening.
>
> I want to thank Máirín Duffy for kindly spending a lot of time
> sharing her thoughts on this subject, at least some of which are
> included below. Thanks to others too who have discussed this with
> me in the past, some of their ideas may be contained here as well.
>
> I think it is fair to say up front that this discussion really isn't
> a counteroffer of any sort to the plan outlined by Jack previously.
> That plan is designed around a set of goals that have merit and should
> be pursued in my opinion. Those goals are not entirely clear to me but
> surely overlap with some of the goals I have in mind. Let's think of
> this discussion as more one about what *other* stuff we might like to
> do.
>
> Goal #1: Awareness
>
> Before anyone can participate they need to be aware of the project.
> So we start with marketing. While activities like talks to the CS
> Club or to the school's LUG reach some students, they unfortunately
> miss the vast majority of people we need to reach to raise awareness
> of what Fedora has to offer.
>
> One key group I want to focus on are students from non-technical
> areas. We have ways to reach kids in Computer Science and Engineering
> programs. We need to reach out to kids in Design schools, in Business
> schools, in Marketing programs, and elsewhere. It is really easy for
> us to see how someone studying graphic design could find a niche in
> the Fedora project, it isn't easy for them to see that without our
> help. Lots of young people want to be involved, but they need others
> to help them get started.
>
> I'm open to all suggestions about how to effectively do this, I don't
> pretend to have the answer. One idea is to unleash a poster campaign
> directed at various need areas within the Fedora project for ambassadors
> to distribute to places where these students will see them. This sort of
> campaign has its limitations and would need to be carefully crafted so
> those whose eye we catch know where to go and what to do to have it be
> more than "oh, that looks cool" and on to the next poster.
>
> Perhaps we could give talks to the art club or to a marketing class?
> I'm afraid most of us aren't very well equipped to do that today but
> with some help from people currently working in those areas we could
> be trained a bit in the language and tools enough to give an effective
> pitch I think.
>
> While we are promoting Fedora and what it stands for we can think about
> doing that through some non-Fedora vehicles. Google's Summer of Code
> projects are something we could advertise and promote. Getting faculty
> member mentors, many already exist, also gives us a way to penetrate
> [...]
Hi there!
Thanks for starting such a crucial discussion. I'm also willing to promote
Fedora in my area. Until now I have only evangelized Fedora on a
person-by-person basis. But now I want to address a gathering(something like
a student group). For this very purpose, I'm going to announce the formation
of a LUG very shortly in my university. I might also involve some
experienced Fedora guys to come in and be a part of this inaugural session.
I'm particularly interested in eliciting about *what exactly* to demonstrate
to the audience so that they get hooked onto it instantly. I'm open to
suggestions and further discussions regarding the same.

Cheers!
--
Prakhar Agarwal
Fedora Ambassador-Delhi, India