[Ambassadors] Fedora EMEA e.v. (was Re: What Fedora makes sucking ...)

Pierre-Yves pingou at pingoured.fr
Tue Dec 9 13:33:43 UTC 2008

Max Spevack wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>
>> Correction: I AM NOT member of EMEA e.V., I refuse to become member
>> due to the fact that the current membership fee excludes people who
>> would like to get involved.
>
> Here's the interesting thing:  In order to fulfill its mission, Fedora
> EMEA e.V. doesn't need any "members".  What is important is having
> members of the Fedora Project.
>
> The non-profit is simply a safe, trusted place where resources can be
> held in escrow.
>
> Am I wrong?

Here is the big misunderstanding about the EMEA NPO.
Speaking from Fedora-fr we created the NPO in order to have members and
some funds at a time when RH was not supporting us in the way it is now.

Fedora EMEA's main goal is not to have members but it was created to
have a legal platform in EMEA that could centralized the money from RH
and handle the budget for the europen events.
The problem comes from the fact that people *want* to be member of the
NPO. They want to support their distro by giving some funds. If the fees
were lower sure I would be member, but as I said Fedora EMEA is not
about having members rather than a legal entity that can handle RH money
for EMEA.

Fedora EMEA is not about having members, but what if I want to support
Fedora but can't afford 128€ ?
Fedora-Fr handled this problem by seting different fees for different
categories: normal, student or company. Every one can thus be member but
not for the same amount.

Actually I do not remember why EMEA should not have member ?
If the fees are 10€ that nothing compared to the EMEA budget, but if
there are 10 people giving 10€ that's make 100€ more that can be
invested into an event.

Please correct me if I am wrong :)

BTW Fedora EMEA is doing something, it is supporting the organization of
most of the events in EMEA !

Best regards,

Pierre