[Ambassadors] Fedora EMEA e.v. (was Re: What Fedora makes sucking ...)

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 9 15:30:46 UTC 2008

Am Dienstag, den 09.12.2008, 14:33 +0100 schrieb Pierre-Yves:
> Max Spevack wrote:
> > On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> >
> >> Correction: I AM NOT member of EMEA e.V., I refuse to become member
> >> due to the fact that the current membership fee excludes people who
> >> would like to get involved.
> >
> > Here's the interesting thing:  In order to fulfill its mission, Fedora
> > EMEA e.V. doesn't need any "members".  What is important is having
> > members of the Fedora Project.
> >
> > The non-profit is simply a safe, trusted place where resources can be
> > held in escrow.
> >
> > Am I wrong?
>
> Here is the big misunderstanding about the EMEA NPO.
> Speaking from Fedora-fr we created the NPO in order to have members and
> some funds at a time when RH was not supporting us in the way it is now.
>
> Fedora EMEA's main goal is not to have members but it was created to
> have a legal platform in EMEA that could centralized the money from RH
> and handle the budget for the europen events.

This is why I'm surprised to hear the numbers from Max. I thought the
EMEA e.V. is the legal entity for the whole budget given by RH and not
just 6000 €. Maybe Max can elaborate this is little?

> The problem comes from the fact that people *want* to be member of the
> NPO. They want to support their distro by giving some funds. If the fees
> were lower sure I would be member, but as I said Fedora EMEA is not
> about having members rather than a legal entity that can handle RH money
> for EMEA.
>
> Fedora EMEA is not about having members, but what if I want to support
> Fedora but can't afford 128€ ?
> Fedora-Fr handled this problem by seting different fees for different
> categories: normal, student or company. Every one can thus be member but
> not for the same amount.

I already made this suggestion half a year ago, but did not get posivite
feedback.

> Actually I do not remember why EMEA should not have member ?
> If the fees are 10€ that nothing compared to the EMEA budget, but if
> there are 10 people giving 10€ that's make 100€ more that can be
> invested into an event.
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong :)
>
> BTW Fedora EMEA is doing something, it is supporting the organization of
> most of the events in EMEA !

I wouldn't say so: Most events are organized by Fedora ambassadors and
some of them happen to be also members of the NPO. ATM I cant see a
leadership of the NPO or that it's doing more than the rest of us.

> Best regards,
>
> Pierre

Regards,
Christoph