[Ambassadors] Fedora EMEA e.v. (was Re: What Fedora makes sucking ...)

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 9 16:53:46 UTC 2008

> The whole idea of "membership" is what is causing the problem here.
>
> Fedora EMEA e.V. is a "hack", albeit a perfectly legal one, that simply
> makes it easier to move Fedora's resources from one part of the world to
> another, with a minimum of headaches.
>
> If it's doing its job properly, people shouldn't even know that it
> exists, and they shouldn't even care.
>
> Maybe the best thing to do is to figure out what the smallest
> "membership" requirements are for the group to maintain its legal
> status, and implement it that way in 2009.

Or simply close membership. On EMEA web site, write something like "EMEA
is only a 'hack' for moving resources, not an actual NPO, so we don't need
members."

As Pierre-Yves said, if there is a membership process, people will want to
subscribe, as everyone see it as an easy way to contribute (and that's
definitely what's happening in Fedora-FR).

And if the fee is too high, they will complain (as we are doing right now :)

If the fee is low, EMEA will have a lot of members, but it seems that it's
not the goal.

> ==========
>
> I cannot be more clear about this final point:  The Fedora Project *does
> not want money* from people who are already contributing their time and
> effort.  People already pay out of their own pocket sometimes to travel
> to events.  A "membership fee" for Fedora EMEA e.V. isn't something that
> I care about at all.

Speaking about our own example in France, the membership fee does help us
asking for less money from the Fedora budget. This means that the excedent
can go to other local communities who have less resources, or to organize
more events, or...

> I can't pay for all of Fedora's costs out of my own pocket,
> and then wait to see which of those costs Red Hat is willing to
> reimburse me for.

Can't you ? ^_^

Regards,

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha)