[Ambassadors] Fedora EMEA e.v. (was Re: What Fedora makes sucking ...)

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Wed Dec 10 12:09:34 UTC 2008

Pierre-Yves wrote:
> Max Spevack wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>>
>>> Correction: I AM NOT member of EMEA e.V., I refuse to become member
>>> due to the fact that the current membership fee excludes people who
>>> would like to get involved.
>>
>> Here's the interesting thing:  In order to fulfill its mission, Fedora
>> EMEA e.V. doesn't need any "members".  What is important is having
>> members of the Fedora Project.
>>
>> The non-profit is simply a safe, trusted place where resources can be
>> held in escrow.
>>
>> Am I wrong?
>
> Here is the big misunderstanding about the EMEA NPO.
> Speaking from Fedora-fr we created the NPO in order to have members and
> some funds at a time when RH was not supporting us in the way it is now.
>
> Fedora EMEA's main goal is not to have members but it was created to
> have a legal platform in EMEA that could centralized the money from RH
> and handle the budget for the europen events.
> The problem comes from the fact that people *want* to be member of the
> NPO. They want to support their distro by giving some funds. If the fees
> were lower sure I would be member, but as I said Fedora EMEA is not
> about having members rather than a legal entity that can handle RH money
> for EMEA.
>
> Fedora EMEA is not about having members, but what if I want to support
> Fedora but can't afford 128€ ?

You donate to Fedora EMEA whatever you want to donate. Even if it's
0,10€ but of course the fees for transferring smaller amounts of money
could exceed the donation itself. In the end, Fedora EMEA will spend the
money where the Fedora Project sees fit, decisive bodies being the
Fedora Board and FAmSCo.

> Fedora-Fr handled this problem by seting different fees for different
> categories: normal, student or company. Every one can thus be member but
> not for the same amount.
>
> Actually I do not remember why EMEA should not have member ?

Let me refer you to the previous thread:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-ambassadors-list/2008-May/msg00047.html

and

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-ambassadors-list/2008-May/msg00067.html

And, in the interest of full disclosure, here's how it went down for 2008:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-ambassadors-list/2008-May/msg00068.html

> If the fees are 10€ that nothing compared to the EMEA budget, but if
> there are 10 people giving 10€ that's make 100€ more that can be
> invested into an event.

Again, feel free to donate whatever money you would like to donate. It
can be as small as 0,10€, or as large as ... well there's no real maximum.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip