Fedora EMEA e.V. (was: Re: [Ambassadors] Re: What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora)

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Fri Dec 12 10:12:57 UTC 2008

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Max Spevack wrote:

> I think that once we finalize all of the 2008 finances in January,
> making that information available is a fine thing to do.  In order to
> do the job right, though, people need to be patient for another 4-6
> weeks. I would hope that you guys all trust me enough to know that I
> want to make sure we do a good job of this.

I would like to make one other comment, if you would all give me a few
more minutes of your time.  When the NPO was first founded, as you all
know, I was not its treasurer.  The entire board was made up of non-Red
Hat community members, and I liked this very much.  It seemed like the
most community-friendly way to operate.

However, when Robert was unable to continue as treasurer (not due to
anything related to the NPO, but due simply to other requirements on his
time), a few people asked me if I would consider taking the role,
especially because I manage the Fedora budget from the Red Hat side, and
it seemed like it would be very easy and convenient to have me also be
the NPO's treasurer.  I said yes, though somewhat reluctantly.

Now, let's fast-forward 6 or 7 months to the present.  If the community
would prefer to have a non-Red Hat employee in the treasurer's position,
I have absolutely no problem with that.  I'll help finalize the
accounting for 2008, and the truth is that I will continue to manage the
Fedora budget for Red Hat in the same way regardless of whether or not I
have an "official" position within the NPO.

It doesn't really matter to me, and it doesn't really change very much
day to day for me.  In fact, I might even prefer it.  It would make my
day to day job a *little* bit easier.

I'm open to this conversation.  All I care about is enabling our
community in EMEA to get things done with a minimum of bureaucratic and
financial headaches.  My job is to do whatever it takes to make that a
reality.

Thanks,
Max