[Ambassadors] Community Management Literature?

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Sun Dec 28 01:51:17 UTC 2008

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008, inode0 wrote:

> I'm really very curious about how you view the Fedora project within
> this framework? In particular, do you view Fedora as a hybrid
> organization?

I'm going to have to thumb through it again the next time I'm in Raleigh
before I can say anything too intelligent, but my gut tells me that
Fedora is definitely a hybrid-like organization.

We try to push authority, accountability, and decision-making as far to
the edges as possible, but there is still a bit of a hierarchy in terms
of committees, and in some cases the people who are paid by RH to work
on Fedora full time -- I think Fedora Infrastructure is the perfect
hybrid example.  Everyone is a leader and a doer, but Mike McGrath holds
a "first among equals" kind of a role.

It's been a long time since I flipped through this book and chatted
about it w/ Greg.  I might be getting terms wrong.  I'll refresh my
memory when I'm in Raleigh in January.

I'm glad people are enjoying the book though!

--Max