[Ambassadors] Fedora NPO

Nayyar Ahmad nayyares at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 13:46:48 UTC 2008

Hi Gerold,

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Gerold <gerold at lugd.org> wrote:

> Hello Ambassador World,

> as you might have read, Jeroen and me are trying to found a
> Non-profit-Organisation (aka NPO) for Europe and we want to found this

I wounder this NPO will cover only Europe or EMEA?

> FEDORA EMEA entity @ FOSDEM ...
>
> In the past few days I have to answer a lot of questions because it seems
> that we haven´t done our homework very well to announce, explain and
> answer the questions of everybody of you ...
>
> So what shall we do right now? Shall we postpone the founding and use the
> FOSDEM as a Q&A event from our side? Should we found this NPO?
>
> BTW: Let me explain a few things about thinking about that NPO:
> We (Jeroen and me and a lot of other Ambassador attending the FAD EMEA
> 2007) thought we found this NPO in GERMANY (depends on German Law) BECAUSE
> I personaly founded such a NPO,  "my" local LinuxUser Group Loerrach. This
> NPO -in which I hold the chair at the moment- is acknoledged by German law
> to spend tax reductable donation receipts (for companys, members,
> everyone) ...
> Back to the basics (of that German law of founding) ...
> First you need to be seven legal persons who are willing to found such a
> NPO.

this legal means Germany National?

> Second, you need to meet face-to-face.

then they need to be from same part of the world.. btw, how often they need
to see each other?

> Third, ONLY people from THIS foundational meeting are allowed to
> - accept and vote for the statutes
> - elect the BOARD of the NPO who much attend that meeting in person

no doubt..!

> FOURTH, In the statutes who are in German, you give the frame of your
> entity and its Goals, Amount of Board, membership fee and so on.
> That´s I hope are all dependencies who must be fullfilled to 100% ...

is there any restriction on taking membership, specially for outside German
territory people?

> Any comments? Ideas? Doubts?
>
> Let me/us know!

I hope we would be able to form NPO soon, it is for sure a big task & will
become a milestone for Fedora Project EMEA.

Thanks

> Gerold

Nayyar Ahmad
RHCE (ID:804006858622745)