[Ambassadors] Fedora NPO

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Feb 18 16:58:32 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 08:43 +0100, Gerold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ... We have to start at Fosdem - there is no time to hesitate - Ambassadors
> >> move! ...
> >
> > I really hate to be a wet blanket on this, but I would really like to
> > clear this with:
> >
> > A) The Fedora Board
> > B) Red Hat Legal
> >
> > before it gets any farther. Have either of these things been done?
> ^^
> A) No, why?
> B) More than once from different persons since last August, without any
> result of "helping hands" or supporting a local group or whatever you want
> to hear. Asking Red Hat legal is imho asking a "black whole", because you
> will be told you'll get an answer or a response in a suitable time. Maybe
> you, but not me or the guys who asked (from which I know) ...
>

> ... this NPO we like to found depends _NOT_ on Red Hat. And there is also
> NO *must* to be member of this NPO for nobody ...
> If you want to join the NPO, do so; if not, you'll be also welcome :-)

So, here's why it matters:

Are you using the Fedora trademark? If yes, then, you should get the
permission from the trademark holder to do so for an NPO. The trademark
holder is Red Hat. The body which gives permission for the Fedora
trademark usage is the Fedora Board.

Now, I would be happy to talk to Red Hat Legal on your behalf and try to
clear this as quickly as possible, but I want to make sure that you guys
have all your possible stumbling blocks out of the way so that this
doesn't get yanked back immediately.

If you're not using the Fedora trademark in any way, then you shouldn't
need this, and you can ignore me.

~spot